How to E File Income Tax Return: Process & Deadlines
- Sep 2, 2022
- 311 Views
Process For E File Income Tax Return
- Calculating Taxes – To begin, the taxpayer must precisely calculate his taxable income by the current tax rules that apply to him.
- Filing the Correct Form – The taxpayer must file the correct form based on their source of income. Various ITR forms are available depending on the taxpayer’s source of income and status, such as income from a business, employment, LTCG, TDS, and many others. One must find the appropriate form based on their earnings.
- Individual taxpayers can only access forms ITR 1, ITR 2, and ITR 4 online.
- TDS Certificates (Form 16) and Form 26AS – The taxpayer must fill out the details in his ITR using the TDS certificates (Form 16) he receives each year. Form 26AS is an annual form that allows him to calculate the total TDS deducted for the year.
- Income Tax Preparation – Go to the official income tax filing website https://www.incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal
– Navigate to Downloads
– Choose AY
– Download Common Offline Utility
– Run the setup.
- Fill in the Details – Enter the necessary information in the downloaded offline utility.
– Open the utility and click on the ‘File Return’ button.
– Select ‘Downloaded Pre-filled Data’.
– Enter the PAN and then choose the AY.
– Enter your username and password.
– Enter accurate income information and check the amount owed in taxes.
The utility allows you to enter the details of your income tax challan.
- Verification of Specifications – Click the ‘Validate’ icon in the offline utility to confirm that all mandatory grids are filled out.
- Convert the file to JSON format. Once the information has been validated, click the ‘Download JSON’ button.
- IT Portal JSON – The final step is to upload the JSON file to the government’s income tax portal.
– Access the portal
– Choose ‘e-file’
– Choose ‘Income Tax Return’ from the dropdown menu.
- First, you will need to fill in the basic identification information, such as your Permanent Account Number (PAN), Assessment Year, and ITR Form number. After that, you will need to click the “Submit XML" button in order to upload the XML file.
- Drag and drop the JSON file from your local machine onto the portal, and then proceed to click the “Submit" button. You have the option of transmitting an electronic verification code (EVC), an Aadhaar one-time password (OTP), or a manually signed copy of the ITR-5 to the CPC in Bengaluru.
E File Income Tax Returns – Deadlines And Penalty
The deadline for filing IT Returns (ITR) for the fiscal year 2021-2022 was July 31, 2019. (FY-2021-2022). In a nearly unprecedented move, the government did not extend the deadline for filing the ITR this year. The deadline has been extended for many years until October 31 or December 31. Although there has been no extension this year, this does not mean that taxpayers who missed the deadline cannot file their income tax return now. They can do so until December 31, but they will have to pay the penalty. The procedure for filing an ITR remains unchanged. So, here’s a step-by-step guide on how much fine you’ll have to pay:
- If the total income exceeds Rs 5 lakh, a penalty fee of Rs 5,000 will be levied.
- According to section 234F of the Income-Tax Act, anyone who fails to file a return of income under section 139 by the due date will be fined Rs 5,000.
- If the total income is less than Rs 5 lakh, a penalty fee of Rs 1,000 will be levied.
- The fee payable under this section shall not exceed Rs 1,000 if the person’s total income does not exceed Rs 5 lakh.
- Individual taxpayers have a 5-month period in which to file their IT returns (with penalty).
- The deadline for filing late ITR has been extended by the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) until December 31, 2022.
Eligibility For Income Tax Return Filing
1. When assessing whether or not an individual is required to file an ITR, the level of annual income earned is one of the factors that is evaluated. The greatest permissible threshold is described further down, and it was decided that the returns should be filed.
- People who are under the age of 60 and have an annual income that is at least Rs. 2.5 lakhs.
- Senior citizens between the ages of 60 and 80 years old who have an annual income of at least three lakhs rupees and are eligible for the program.
- Individuals who are at least 80 years old and have a yearly income that is at least 500,000 Indian rupees.
2. One is obligated to file tax returns regardless of whether or not they fall under any of the following categories, among others:
- A wage, rent from a property, profits from a business or profession, and various other types of income all fall under the category of sources of income.
- In order to comply with a legal requirement that requires him to do so, an individual who files his Individual Tax Return in order to collect a tax refund from the government is required to do so.
- Application for a Loan or Visa – If a person has a good track record of filing their income tax returns, it will be much simpler for them to apply for a loan or visa.
- A Company – It is mandatory for all registered companies that conduct business in India to submit tax returns.
The deadline for filing an income tax return without incurring late fees for the fiscal year 2021-22 was December 31, 2021. However, the deadline for filing a Return for AY 2021-22 was March 31, 2022, due to late fees.
After paying the applicable late fees, you can file a late return until December 31 of the relevant assessment year.
(This was extended to March 31, 2022, for fiscal year 20-21.)
Filing after the due date will result in late fees under Section 234F of the Income Tax Act.
According to the most recent Income Tax due date extension notification, the due date for AY 2021-22 was February 15, 2022.
The tax filing deadline for FY 2021-22 (AY 2022-23) is July 31, 2022.